Supplements For Depression
So as per the title, I want to write a post about the three products that I believe are the best natural supplements for depression. I’ve mentioned bea fore on this site that I’m against SSRIs, mostly because they fail to work for many people, and the side-effects just aren’t worth it.
There are many pages worth of mood enhancers on Amazon, and it can be difficult to know where to start in finding ones that work. If you’re searching for a natural depression supplement that enhances your mood without side-effects, I’d recommend trying one of the following three products. Read on to decide which one sounds ideal for you.
I rate Vimulti as one of the three best supplements for depression for three reasons:
- The pills are extremely effective at reducing mood swings. I used to suffer badly from sudden changes in mood. I’d go from happy to downright miserable at the click of a finger. The combination of 5HTP and DMAE seems to work brilliantly at stabilizing my moods.
- Vimulti also calms you down. I like how the manufacturer has addressed the fact that anxiety and depression often go hand-in-hand. By adding GABA (a natural calming agent produced by the brain) and chamomile (a flower that has been used as a natural anxiety treatment for thousands of years) I found that both my mood was improved and my anxiety was reduced. This makes serious value for money.
- You can take the supplement alongside SSRIs. I mentioned already that I don’t like SSRIs, but for some people they are essential. Many natural supplements for depression cannot be taken in combination SSRIs because they contain St.Johns Wort, which poses a risk for serotonin syndrome when taken with anti-depressant meds. Vimulti does not include St.Johns Wort, which if you look on the list of Amazon depression supplements, is quite rare to see. This makes it a flexible depression remedy.
Summary: This is a wonderful mood enhancing supplement because it’s flexible, it also helps anxiety, and it stabilizes your mood. It’s definitely worth checking this stuff out, although the effect is milder than the supplements below. I give it 4.5 stars out of 5.
Visit the Amazon page for Vimulti below.
This mood enhancing supplement is a bit pricier than Vimulti, but for me, the mood-boosting effects were much stronger. Here are three reasons why I like Onnit New Mood:
- Strong mood boost effect. This was the main thing I noticed when I took Onnit New Mood pills for 30 days. I was feeling particularly low at the time due to some personal stuff, and one tablet seemed to take me from a place where I could barely cope, to feeling content and being able to get on with life.
- Vitamin B6. I like how they included B6 in this supplement because it provides the catalyst for converting the 5-HTP and L-tryptophan into serotonin that the brain can use. Serotonin is what boosts our mood, but these dietary forms are useless without a converting agent. Many companies just sell 5-HTP supplements without adding a converting agent, so Onnit has done its research here.
- Vitamin D3. The depression-lifting effects of daily sunshine exposure are well-documented, due to the absorption of Vitamin D3, which is known to boost mood. Unfortunately, many people including myself, live in climates that don’t get much sun, especially during winter. What I loved about this supplement was the inclusion of Vitamin D3 because it meant I didn’t have to go out and buy a separate pill.
Summary: The strong mood boost effect and the inclusion of helpful ingredients like Vitamin B6 and D3 make this a great natural depression remedy to start off with. I will deduct half a point because of the price, but this price does give you a three month supply so it’s worth it (This works out at less than $1 per day). I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Check out the product page below on Amazon.
TransZen by Entheozen
Rounding off my top three natural supplements for depression is TransZen. In terms of mood enhancement, this one had a nice pleasant effect, although slightly weaker than Onnit New Mood. Here are three reasons to try TransZen:
- Contains ashwagandha. Unlike the other two supplements I mentioned, TransZen contains ashwagandha. This is a herb that has been used for thousands of years in alternative medicine to treat a variety of mental ailments including depression and anxiety. It is purported to even protect the brain against disease such as cancer! The effect of TransZen on mood is noticeably more pleasant in my opinion, thanks to the inclusion of ashwagandha.
- It’s great value. At 120 capsules for $36, you are paying the equivalent of $0.30 per day for this mood boosting supplement, which is tremendous value for money.
- Boosts energy. I liked the fact that not only did this supplement make me feel happier, but I was also a lot more energetic after it. I’m normally not the kind of guy who loves exercise, but this stuff gave me a zest for working out, which in turn also improved my physical health.
Summary: TransZen is a great mood boosting supplement with a noticeably different effect from the others. It’s also fantastic value for money. I’ll deduct half a point because it might not be the best pill for highly anxious people who are also depressed. My score for TransZen is 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Visit the Amazon page below to read more reviews.
If you’re looking for natural supplements for depression that actually work, I’d recommend trying at least one of the above three products. All three products are much more effective than anti-depressants in my experience so there is no reason not to try them. I don’t have a preferred supplement because each has its own unique effect. If I was really forced to choose just one, I’d pick Onnit New Mood because it provides the most noticable general improvement in mood.
Right now I take TransZen because I’m enjoying the energy buzz it gives me, and I also take Onnit New Mood because it has Vitamin D3 and I don’t get anywhere near enough sunlight in my city. In my more anxious periods, I would prefer Vimulti because it complements other anxiety supplements really well.
Let me know in the comments below what you think about these supplements for depression if you decide to try them. Good luck!
Image via Flickr by v1ctor Casale